Joey’s grandfather who is now 82 years ago is referred to you, a practicing speech therapist. According to Joey, his grandfather has been showing tremulous hand movement since 3 years ago. The shaking appears more serious when his hand is stationary. The condition seems to get worse over the years, and now Joey’s grandfather is having difficulty in walking, especially when starting to walk. Joey said that his grandfather hand shaking is so serious that he cannot drink soup with a spoon, as the soup will be spilled all over the place. In addition to walking problem and shaking of hands, Joey noticed that his grandfather’s voice is becoming very soft and sometimes it is hard to understand. He needs to take breaths more frequently when he talks, but the voice is still very soft. In addition, Joey feels that his grandfather’s tongue is not moving properly when he speaks, as if he has something stuck inside his mouth.
Joey mentions about a surgery to the brain that can help his grandfather walk and talk again. But he heard that the surgery requires opening of the skull and putting some wires inside his grandfather’s brain. He is thinking if his grandfather should have that surgery done.
As his speech therapist, you need to explain to Joey what his grandfather is suffering. You also need to plan what needs to be done to evaluate the severity of the conditions, and what treatment regimen to adopt.
In your presentation, make sure you include the following components:
- What is Parkinson’s Disease? What is the neurological mechanism of PD? Mention dopermine.
- What are the risk factors of Parkinson’s Disease? How is PD diagnosed? What is the treatment and prognosis of PD?
- What is the cause of PD development? How does PD effect speech production.
- How is severity of PD assessed? What are the rating scales for PD? What do you think Joey’s grandfather’s severity?
- What should be done in order to confirm Joey’s grandfather’s condition?
- What is Deep Brain Stimulation? How is it done and what are the side effects?
- What are the treatment methods available? Surgical? Pharmaceutical? Behavioral?